St Cuthbert’s Society is one of the oldest colleges in Durham, founded in 1888, and was originally created by a group of students who wanted to work independently from the university. It was designed to be a society for the students, run by the students, and some of this ethos remains today. St Cuthbert’s have the only student-run library in the university, and students are encouraged to get involved as much as possible in the running of the JCR. During the Second World War, the University and Society drastically dropped in numbers, but we were refounded in 1945 by a group of veterans who wanted to finish their degrees. In fact, one of our accommodation buildings is called ‘Refounders’ in honour of those veterans!
We spoke to St Cuth’s SU Rep to find out a little more about the college.