St Aidan’s College (originally St Aidan’s Society) was founded in 1947. Although originally a bailey college, in 1964 it moved to its present buildings on Elvet Hill, becoming one of the first “Hill” colleges. The college has a very distinctive style, owed to its design by modernist architect Sir Basil Spence. Aidan’s was originally founded as an all-female college, however under the tenure of College Principal, Irene Hindmarsh, it was agreed St Aidan’s should become a mixed college. Men were admitted to the college in 1981. Today the college is run by College Principal, Susan Frenk, alongside student sabbatical officers from the JCR and SCR.
We spoke to St Aidan’s Senior Freshers’ Rep, Sofia Dotta, to find out a little more about the college.