The college’s history stretches as far back as 1838 when the College of the Venerable Bede for men was founded with a small number of trainee schoolmasters. Its sister institution, St Hild's College, was opened for the education of women on an adjacent site in 1858. Initially specialising in teacher training, both colleges eventually associated with the federal University of Durham (Bede in 1892 and Hild in 1896), offering B.A. and B.Sc. degrees alongside teaching in education. Graduates of St Hild's were the first female graduates from Durham in 1898. In 1975 the two colleges became the unitary College of St. Hild and St. Bede, a recognised college of the university.
We spoke to Hild Bede’s Union Rep, Ciaran Duggan, to find out a little more about the college.