I’m Sam, a Castle Combined Honours finalist. I’m running to make academia accessible for all. As LGBT+ Association President, and Course Rep, I know limited academic support and resources jeopardise our education. I am standing on a platform that will modernise Durham and bring all departments to the standard of other leading universities. As your Undergraduate Academic Officer, I will focus on four key areas:
BETTER ACADEMIC SUPPORT
- Clear guidelines for communication between departments and colleges when things go wrong
- Reforming the academic advisor system
- Increasing provision in the Language centre for international students to help them to adapt to a new academic culture
INNOVATION IN TEACHING AND ASSESSMENT
- Departmental recognition of good lecturers and tutors.
- Working with Associations and Academic societies to continue the fight for a more up to date, inclusive curriculum.
- Encouraging the use of new learning formats outside of traditional seminar and lecture structures.
- Innovation within assessment besides essays and exams.
IMPROVING RELATIONSHIPS BETWEEN DEPARTMENTS AND STUDENTS
- Opposing any cuts to student support within departments.
- A more transparent module application system.
- Pushing for student support staff in departments to be mental health first aid trained.
- Reforming the extension system to one with student wellbeing at its core and removing needless bureaucracy.
IMPROVING LEARNING RESOURCES AND STUDY SPACE
- Alternative reading lists including podcasts, online lecture series and documentaries.
- All core reading available online as a minimum.
- Subscription to a wider range of academic journals, especially journals that specifically focus on race, sexuality and gender.
- Better advertising of study space and pushing for all departments to have their own working areas.
I will put students at the heart of academia and give you a say in your education. #HaveYourSay VoteSamJA