Here we go again!
As your SU President, I have been a formidable, knowledgeable voice for all students in a year like no other.
Over the past six months I have reset the University’s agenda, and now it’s time to use everything I have learnt to reshape this institution, revolutionise SU democracy, and change the future of Durham.
This 14-point plan explains how:
- ESTABLISH new covid-recovery oversight group to ensure fair outcomes for students
- ENSURE advances in student support – like online counselling/welfare – continue after the pandemic
- SECURE continued expansion of Hardship fund
- EMBED the Culture Commission through a student-led culture working group, resourced by the University
- DEMAND the university to take transparent action against sexual misconduct/abhorrent online behaviour, building on my track record
- OVERSEE proliferation of decolonisation student interns
- SET agenda for the new VC, with commitment to regular student town hall meetings
Further empower student reps
- MANDATE monthly meetings with Common Rooms and the Vice Chancellor
- INCREASE profile of Faculty reps
- SUPPORT ECO DU as a core component of global strategy implementation
- ENSURE Accommodation Fee Review working group is dominated by College ripped off advocates.
Transparent and effective SU
- REVOLUTIONISE SU democracy in line with student needs and make it fit for purpose
- STRENGTHEN role of SU rep committee in SU democracy to make SU more relevant to more students - through ‘blue skies’ meetings
- ESTABLISH “Officer scrutiny panel” to ensure accountable, effective and transparent representation
We have so much righteous anger - at the university, the government and ‘the times’. With my vision for Durham’s future and my expertise gained from a year in this crazy job, I, Seun Twins, am the person to get us through this crisis and back to a better normal.