Queen's Campus Transfer Advice


We understand the sudden uprooting of your course is bound to cause a lot of stress. As your Students’ Union, we have been meeting and working with the University to represent the interests of students who are affected by the relocation of their programme. Following emails from students, we raised a number of questions to the University. Please find the University’s responses below.

As we receive queries we will continue to update this page with information, so keep checking back for updates. If you have any questions which are not answered here, you can contact us directly via our online enquiries form.

What is the Queen’s Campus Transition Fund? [+]

The University has set up a fund specifically for students who will be financially impacted due to course relocation. The fund is designed to cover increases in accommodation costs, travel expenses and childcare; as well as other costs which are directly related to the course relocation. The information below relates specifically to the Queen’s Campus Transition Fund, not the University Hardship Fund.

How do I apply for the Transition Fund? [+]

Applications are open 4th June. The application form is available here.

When will I find out if an application has been successful? [+]

The panel will aim to give you a decision within two weeks.

When will I receive the money? [+]

The money will be automatically transferred once you register for your course next year.

The fund won’t be paid until I register on my course, but I need the money sooner to help cover deposit and rent costs, what can I do? [+]

If you need support earlier than the start of term the Financial Support Office has agreed they will make a loan, which is due for repayment at the end of the next academic year. This will then be converted to a grant using the payments the student would receive under the Queen’s Campus Transition Fund process.

Not all the money you receive will necessarily be converted to a grant however. If you need money to pay for a deposit to secure accommodation, for example, this will remain as a loan as you should be able to get your deposit back once you leave your accommodation.

How much can I access to cover accommodation costs? [+]

On average rent prices in Durham and Newcastle are much more expensive than those in Queen’s Campus, therefore the Queen's Campus Transition Fund will help cover these additional costs.

The amount you can access in this fund is based on the difference in average rent prices in Stockton, Durham and Newcastle. The average rent prices are:

  • Stockton: £58 /week
  • Durham: £85 /week
  • Newcastle: £94 /week

Therefore the University will only pay the difference in rent based on what you currently pay and the upper limit for the area you are relocating to. So the maximum available for Newcastle is £26 /week, and for Durham is £27/week.

If I have more than one year of study left, will I be able to access the fund beyond next year? [+]

Yes, the funding will be available for the duration of your course.* This is applicable to both students who are moving to Durham and students who are moving to Newcastle.

*confirmed for students who complete their course within the standard timeframe.

What happens if I’m not aware of all the additional costs until after I’ve completed my application? [+]

You can re-apply to the fund at any time throughout the year, so if additional costs become apparent you can re-apply with new information.

I receive a Durham Grant that is higher than Newcastle’s Grant, what can I do? [+]

You can apply for the difference through the Transition Fund.

I have signed up for a house in Stockton already/signed a two year contract, what can I do? [+]

We would recommend you still make an application to the Transition Fund and explain your circumstances.

Who can access the fund? [+]

The fund is for students directly financially affected by their course being moved. In order to be eligible for support, students will come from families who have an income of below £62,187 per annum.

If you’re parents earn above this threshold, but are unable to further support you financially, we recommend you speak to your college and explain your circumstances. If your college are not able to support you, we recommend you fill out our enquiries form and provide as much information as possible.

I have a disability and will incur additional costs due to the move, what support is available? [+]

If you need new/specialist equipment, transport costs for hospital visits, or foresee any other additional costs due to the move, you can apply to the Transition Fund to cover these additional expenses.

My application was not successful, what can I do? [+]

There is no formal route to appeal to the fund, however you may be eligible to receive a University Hardship Fund, so speak to your college in the first instance. If your college are not able to support you, we recommend you contact the Advice Service via our enquiries form and provide as much information as possible.

I have spoken to my college and don’t feel supported because I’ve chosen to move to Durham. [+]

Please contact the Advice Service via the enquiries form and provide any supporting information and evidence.

I feel my studies have been adversely affected due to the move, what can I do? [+]

We would recommend seeking advice from us, your college or your department as soon as possible. You may be able to take further action, but due to strict time limits you need to act as soon as possible.

I feel the quality of the teaching on my course has suffered as a result of the move, what can I do? [+]

We recommend you contact us directly to discuss this further. Find our enquiries form here.

I would like to relocate to Durham, but I’m not sure where is best to live. [+]

We have lots of information and an interactive map available here.

I’ve never lived away from home before, so am not sure what to think about when renting a property. [+]

We have lots of information available here.